Out of the darkness

Many times we hear that every painting is a self portrait. I never knew what that meant exactly, until now. As I have made discoveries about myself and grown as an individual my process has become more sound and solid. The more I accept myself for who I am, I see myself in my work, and not necessarily the subject matter, but very much so in the process. My process tells the history of my life, the building up and taring down, the successes and failures. I see myself in my work not as a reflection of who I am, but what I am and where I have traveled to get to this point. Some people have told me my life is chaotic and I use to take that to heart. Now I realize that the chaos of my life is what has made it and me beautiful. Understanding the way the subconscious allows this to show through in the art work makes it all the more interesting to me as the viewer of my own work, and more exciting to make as the creator of the work. For the first time I am a viewer of my own work and I find it facinating.

Comments

Popular Posts